ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL & GOVERNANCE STATEMENT
Our company, Redpath, has a longstanding commitment to the incorporation of environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria into our organization. This commitment is a fundamental part of all our dealings with clients, business partners, subcontractors, suppliers, employees and the communities in which we live and do business.
Aligning our operations and controls with our values, philosophies and guiding principles, and with the evolving needs and perceptions of society, is a continuous process in our company.
For six decades, our organization has been growing on the strength of our people, their commitment to high quality work and our belief in the important role we play both in the mining industry and for the communities we are a part of. It is our desire to serve our clients well, establish relationships that withstand the test of time and be a source of pride for our people now and well into the future.
› GEORGE FLUMERFELT
› Executive Officer Redpath Mining Contractors and Engineers
Our Sustainability and ESG commitments are structured around our company’s values and four key areas relevant to our business – care for our people, safety, the natural environment and the social environment.
Values & Governance
The Redpath Group Philosophy makes a commitment to: Provide a level of service to the mining industry which will exceed normally accepted standards; Create a desire in the industry for our continuing services; Provide scope and challenge for our employees; Control growth in order to maintain a high calibre of service to the industry. This philosophy has served Redpath well since 1962, and it will continue to support our belief that, at Redpath, CHALLENGE IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF LIFE.
Our guiding principles
- We are honest, fair and responsible.
- We make accurate schedules and budget forecasts that are managed and met to the best of our abilities, without surprise.
- We work by our principles of ‘Safety - First, Last and Always.’
- We never criticize our competition.
- We give and publish well-written technical papers.
- We do not overcommit.
- We ask if we don’t know the answer.
- We remember that our goal is to serve our clients well.
- Excuses are unacceptable.
- We act in the long-term interest of our company and our clients.
- We do not take advantage of short-term situations.
Since 1962, Redpath has maintained these four commitments:
- PROVIDE a level of service to the mining industry which exceeds normally accepted standards.
- CREATE a desire in the industry for our continuing services.
- PROVIDE scope and challenge for our employees.
- CONTROL growth in order to provide a high level of service to the industry.
Foremost amongst the “Guiding Principles” established for our employees is this simple principle: “We are honest, fair and responsible.” This approach, coupled with the equally important declaration: “We work by our principles of safety first, last and always” establishes the firm foundation which we, the modern Redpath, continue to build our organization on. It defines how we deal with our clients, employees, business partners and other stakeholders in the projects we undertake and in the countries in which we work.
This approach enables us to:
- Incorporate sustainable business practices in our corporate strategies and decision-making.
- Demonstrate strong corporate governance, setting standards that are practical and sustainable in the long term.
- Act in the long-term interest of our organization and of our clients.Maintain effective risk management strategies and systems.
- Maintain compliance with applicable laws in the areas in which we operate.
- Maintain policies and practices to prevent conflict of interest, bribery and corruption.
- Incorporate innovation and continuous improvement into every aspect of what we do.
- Implement policies and use practices that avoid, prevent, mitigate and/or remedy health, safety and environmental impacts to workers and the natural environment.
- Ensure the use of responsible health, safety and environmental practices by business partners, suppliers and subcontractors.
At Redpath, we are all about the people working for us. Our people are our primary resource and without their talent, skills and “we like a challenge” attitude, we would not survive as an organization. In recognition of this fundamental fact, we have implemented processes, methods, strategies and codes of conduct aimed at attracting, training and retaining competent and skilled personnel of all descriptions.
Therefore, it is incumbent on us to:
- Be respectful of human rights and the interests, cultures, customs and values of all employees and the communities we live and work in.
- Take steps to eliminate harassment and discrimination in all our workplaces.
- Respect freedom of association and provide processes to address employee issues.
- Maintain policies and practices that support equality and diversity in the workplace, and that respect the rights of all workers, while protecting their privacy.
- Be aware of the importance of mental health and wellbeing in the workplace and community.
- Provide employees with access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which offers confidential support in managing their own wellbeing and that of their immediate family members.
- Look for the best blend of global experience and local skills, and actively work to integrate the two.
- Provide appropriate training and educational opportunities to our employees.
- See every project as a chance to strengthen our workforce and be involved with the communities we work in.
- Understand that our corporate behaviour is a sum of the behaviours of all our employees. All employees must adhere to the Redpath Code of Conduct.
- Provide employees with guidance, through our compliance program, regarding the reporting of any instance of suspected unethical, illegal, fraudulent or undesirable conduct.
Redpath and safety
We continually strive to achieve the highest standards in health and safety – zero harm. Through the development of a safety culture, built on a common understanding of safety principles and a commitment by all employees, we will meet our goal of “Safety First, Last and Always”.
This means that we:
- Rigorously apply our Redpath Safety Program and regularly audit for compliance and improvement opportunities.
- Adhere to client health and safety policies and procedures, and to those of Redpath.
- Follow the continuous improvement model for quality assurance – PLAN, DO, CHECK, ACT – as we strive to eliminate workplace fatalities, serious injuries and occupational illnessEffectively manage risks through our Risk Assessment Process in conjunction with our Fatality Prevention Program utilizing our Fatal Risk Elimination Protocols, Cardinal Rules and Audit Processes.
- Provide employees with training and necessary equipment to work in a safe and effective manner.
- Encourage our people to maintain focus on the goal of zero harm while on the job, at home and during all activities they and their families undertake.
Redpath and the natural environment
Redpath is committed to managing all of our operations in a manner consistent with the principles of minimizing impact on our natural environment, doing so in partnership with our clients.
We accomplish this by:
- Adhering to client requirements, policies and procedures relating to the environment on projects that we are performing.
- Incorporating environmental control measures into our project risk assessments.
- Training our employees in the importance of environmental stewardship and complying with environmental rules and regulations at our operations and in the surrounding communities.
- Utilizing processes and practices to prevent contamination, to manage waste and to mitigate impacts on human health and the natural environment.
- Being responsible in design, use, re-use, recycling and disposal of products and materials.
- Implementing measures and practices to improve energy efficiency and to reduce our carbon footprint.
Redpath and the social environment
Our business interest and projects extend to locations around the world. We passionately believe that community engagement, and being a part of those communities, is a fundamental part of what we do. We take an active role in supporting local social programs related to health & wellness, education, children’s sports, and community development through donations, fundraising and employee participation.
Key aspects of this include:
- Working with our clients to implement inclusive approaches with local peoples and communities to identify their development priorities and support activities that contribute to their lasting social and economic well-being.
- Respecting the cultures, customs and values of the indigenous peoples and communities in the places we work.
- The hiring of locals, offering competitive remuneration and providing appropriate employee development and training.
- Using local suppliers of goods, services and equipment where it makes sense and provides local benefit both in the short and long term.
|"We are honest, fair and responsible"||“We remember that our goal is to serve our clients well”||“Safety – First, Last & Always”||“We ask if we don’t know the answer”||“We act in the long term interests of our company and our clients”|
|Values & Governance||Redpath’s People||Safety||Natural Environment||Social Environment|
|Sustainable business practices.||Respectful of human rights and diversity.||Rigorously apply the Redpath Safety Program.||Manage operations to minimize impact.||Be contributing citizens wherever we work.|
|Act in the long-term interest of our stakeholders.||Elimination of harassment and discrimination.||Adhere to client health and safety programs and incorporate best practices.||Adhere to client requirements, policies and procedures.||Work with our clients to implement inclusive approaches with local people and communities.|
|Effective risk management strategies.||Respect for freedom of association.||Continuous improvement model for quality assurance.||Incorporate environmental control measures into project risk assessments.||Respect the cultures, customs and values of indigenous people and communities.|
|Preventing conflict of interest, bribery and corruption.||Understanding the importance of mental health.||Effectively manage risk through use of programs, protocols and auditing.||Prevent contamination, manage waste and mitigate impact on health.||Hire, train and develop local people where practical and possible.|
|Innovation and continuous improvement.||Be involved in our communities.||Provide training and equipment to work safely and effectively.||Be responsible in design, use, re-cycling and disposal of materials.||Use local suppliers of goods, services and equipment to provide local benefits.|
|Positively influence those with whom we work.||Adhering to the Redpath Code of Conduct.||Maintain the focus on the goal of zero harm.||Energy efficiency and reduced carbon footprint.||Support local, social and economic well-being when possible.|
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria are about “doing the right thing”.
This may seem simple and obvious. Yet, putting the principle into action requires a conscious decision in every situation and interaction. At Redpath, “Our Philosophy” and “Guidelines for Success” demonstrate a longstanding commitment to “doing the right thing”. These values have been part of our organization since the start in 1962.